Saturday, April 7, 2012

Leaving for Spain soon!


Funny how things work… I’m moving heaven and earth to make my migration to Spain a reality, am even selling pieces of my soul for $5 a pop, and then, just like that, I get offered a trip to Spain. For free!

So if all goes well, I’ll jump on a plane on June 9th. But I won’t be alone and there will be a mission. I’m going as a guardian of two girls who will attend the World Heritage Youth Forum (organised by UNESCO and The Ministry of Culture of Spain) and the idea is to bring children (age 12-15) from different Word Heritage Sites to Spain with the objective to develop educational materials about conservation and protection of cultural patrimony. The requirements for the adults who accompany them are that they’re educators who have experience in teaching about the conservation of cultural patrimony, so that’s right up my alley!

It’s not a 100% sure yet (we’re still looking for funding to get there) and it will be a hassle to get all the paperwork for the girls in order, but hopefully it will all work out. The girls who are travelling with me are Dilcia and Normita, from the Maya Chortí village of La Pintada. They’re both excited to go, although I doubt they have any idea what to expect. More news will follow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment